Library Science refers to procedures within a library and the management of the libraries dealing with identification, gathering, handling, storage, retrieval and dissemination of information resources. Library science is an interdisciplinary field that applies the practices, perspectives and tools of management, information technology, education and other areas related to the libraries.
It is concerned with the collection, organization, preservation of information resources and provision of information services and the political economy of information.
At the end of this programme, students shall be able to:
- Qualifications important to the field include the ability to work well with people, good written and oral communication skills, intelligence and curiosity, research and computer skills, an eye for detail and a general love of learning are also essential.
- Understanding trends in media, computers/technology, Internet, and publishing is important to success in the profession. Virtually any undergraduate degree can offer good preparation for MQA accredited graduate programs.
- Maintain a high grade point average in undergraduate work and work on gaining strong recommendations from faculty. Work in campus or community libraries part-time or during the summers to gain exposure to the library environment.
- Supplement undergraduate curriculum with courses in communications, media, business or technology.
- Some areas of information or library sciences may require bachelor’s or master’s degrees related to the job environment.
- Choose master’s degree programs in library or information science that are accredited by the Malaysian.
- Quality Accreditation to maximize employment opportunities.
- Currently, most library science professionals work in school, public, and academic libraries, but employment opportunities are growing most for information specialists in settings such as corporations, consulting firms and information brokers and in environments involving Internet-based information.
Below are the description for Bachelor of Library Science (Hons):
Programme Mode: English
Programme Duration: 2½ – 3 years on a full-time studying basis
Intakes: January / June / August
Fees: RM 24,270 (Malaysians and does not include hostel fees)
If you are a Malaysian and wish to enroll in this programme, you must have:
- A pass in STPM or its equivalent, with a minimum of Grade C (GP 2.00) in any two subject and a pass in Mathematics or additional mathematics and English at SPM level or its equivalent; OR
- A pass in STAM with a minimum grade of Jayyid and a pass in Mathematics or Additional Mathematics and English at SPM level; OR
- A Diploma or its equivalent, with a minimum CGPA of 2.00 and pass in Mathematics and English at SPM level or its equivalent. OR
- Matriculation/Foundation or equivalent, with a CGPA of 2.00 and a pass in Mathematics or Additional Mathematics and English at SPM Level or its equivalent. OR
- A pass in SPM or its equivalent, with a qualification of an Accreditation of Prior Experiential Learning (APEL) accredited by MQA 5 years working experience and pass in Mathematics and English at SPM level or its equivalent.
UNIVERSITY COMPULSORY SUBJECT
MPU 3113 Hubungan Etnik
MPU 3123 TITAS
MPU 3212 Bahasa Kebangsaan A
MPU 3222 Social Work Skills
MPU 3232 Kemahiran Al-Quran
MPU 3312 Dakwah Islam Di Malaysia
MPU 3322 Malaysian Legal System
MPU 3412 Sport
MPU 3422 Event Management
MPU 3432 Uniform Force
MPU 3442 Martial Art
MPU 2452 Community Service
FACULTY COMPULSORY CORE
ZES 1233 Technical English 1
ZES 1243 Technical English 2
ZLU 1212 Japanese
ZLU 1222 Mandarin
ZLU 1232 Arabic
SLD2253 Acquisitions of Library Materials Procedures
SLD2113 Subject Cataloguing and Classification
SLD3113 Computerized Cataloguing
SLD2213 Introduction to Abstracting and Indexing
SLD2243 Report Writing and Information Skills
SLD2313 Community Information and Children Library Science
SLD2223 Keeping Archives
SLD1313 Information, Library and Society
SLD1123 Descriptive Cataloguing I : Monograph
SLD1213 Descriptive Cataloguing II : Non Book Materials
SLD2353 Introduction to Digital Libraries
SLD1223 Theories and Principles of Information Science
SLD2233 Reference Work
SLD2143 Keeping of Special Record
SLD1133 Organization of Knowledge in Libraries
SLD3133 Electronic Record Keeping
SLD2123 Record Keeping in Organization
SLD3123 Library Promotion and Publicity
SLD2353 Preservation of Information Services
SLD1143 Introduction to Librarianship and Library Management
SLD2343 Introduction to Ethics and Professionalism
SLD2323 Introduction to Entrepreneurship in Information Services
SLD1323 Fundamental of Computer Application in Libraries
Students are able to venture into any career path that involves job prospect such as reference, circulation, technical services, acquisitions, cataloging, system automation, indexing/abstracting, archives, serial management, manuscripts, access/outreach, Metadata, digital files, digital/paper preservation, government documents, document controller and related fields.
Name: Nora Lina Binti Mohd Hussain
- About Us
- Contact Us
- TV Unisel